BETHESDA, Md. (ABC7) – A smooth-fashionable building in downtown Bethesda is gaining a repute for shedding tempered glass, prompting close by residents to call for motion.
The ten-story building, situated at 4500 East West Freeway, was accomplished in 2014 at a price of $39 million. The construction is “LEED Platinum” licensed. It homes a handful of white collar places of work and a excessive-finish Chinese language restaurant on the bottom flooring.
In April, a lady reported listening to a window pane come crashing all the way down to the bottom. She turned her head and noticed tons of of items of shattered glass unfold throughout on open plaza.
In June, Bethesda East resident Amanda Farber observed a cracking window panel. She snapped a photograph of it.
Then on Sunday, Farber occurred upon crews chipping away at a defective panel of glass, seemingly prone to falling. Farber used her cellular phone to file the ordeal. Though it’s exhausting to see the evening work, you possibly can clearly hear bits and items of glass pelting the bottom.
Farber and different involved residents contacted Montgomery County Government Ike Leggett and Councilman Roger Berliner, asking for help. A principal concern is that youngsters who attend close by Bethesda-Chevy Chase Excessive College and Our Girl of Lourdes Church and College may very well be injured by falling glass.
Washington, D.C.-based Carr Properties, which owns the building, tells ABC7 the office tower was constructed “exacting high quality and security requirements, both assembly or exceeding native building codes.” Carr, nonetheless, added that's nicely conscious of the continued window situation and not too long ago met with Montgomery County officers about it. It has additionally employed third-celebration engineers and consultants to higher decide the foundation situation and a everlasting repair.
Within the interim, Carr Properties has drafted a listing of short-term security enhancements:
- Partial closure of the general public sidewalk alongside Pearl Road and Montgomery Avenue. Cones and obstacles shall be used slim the walkway width from eight to 5 ft.
- Benches alongside Pearl Road and Montgomery Avenue shall be eliminated.
- A portion of the general public plaza alongside East West Freeway shall be cordoned off.
- Set up a sturdy overhead protector above the doorway to Q by Peter Chang’s restaurant to make sure clients are protected. Café chairs and tables shall be reorganized.
- A second protecting cover will probably be put in across the building’s principal entrance, however is awaiting Montgomery County approval.
“Whereas the perimeter of the building received’t be fairly as engaging as we're accustomed to, till we get this situation resolved, the security of 4500 East West Freeway’s tenants and visitors is our prime precedence,” a one-web page memo distributed to building tenants on Thursday learn.
ABC7 contacted Montgomery County’s Division of Allowing Companies Thursday afternoon with a listing of questions relating to its involvement on this matter, however as of publication, had not acquired a response.