The story behind the random century-old barn on Apple's futuristic $5 billion campus – Business Insider
Tucked away in a nook of Apple Park, the firm's new futuristic, customized-designed $5 billion campus in Cupertino, California, is a very low-tech constructing. It stands out in a campus of gleaming glass and concrete buildings the place even the door handles are custom designed.
So why did Apple lately assemble an early-20th century barn in the shadow of its huge new "spaceship" campus? Here is a superb image from a current drone flyover video filmed by Matthew Roberts.
It seems, the historic "Glendenning Barn" was on the land first, and after a former Cupertino mayor requested Apple CEO Tim Prepare dinner what the firm deliberate to do with the barn in the early levels of campus planning, Apple rigorously took it aside and ultimately put it again collectively, simply the approach it was constructed earlier than.
The Glendenning barn, in-built 1916, had beforehand survived a number of modifications of possession, as the land round it remodeled from farmland owned by the Glendenning household, to orchards, to an HP workplace park, and now, to Apple's new headquarters.
The barn wasn't particularly protected by native legislation, however the Cupertino Historic Society tried to reserve it, and it was beloved by the website's earlier house owners, HP, which used it as a gathering place for beer bashes and picnics. "I’m anxious to in the future see it once more," Ed Miller, a former HP supervisor, told the Mercury News.
Apple will retailer sports activities gear and landscaping provides in the barn. However its worth to Apple is extra as a bit of piece of historical past that reveals how Silicon Valley has modified.
An environmental impact report commissioned by Apple in 2013 provides the full backstory of the land that Apple's "spaceship" campus now sits on:
The venture website was occupied by Robert and Margaret Howie Glendenning starting in the 1850s. The Glendennings, initially from Scotland, had been certainly one of the first European-Individuals to homestead in Cupertino. In 1851, the couple started farming 160 acres of land, dwelling initially in a tent on the land. After constructing a home and planting crops, the house owners of the Alviso Land Grant laid declare to the property, and the Glendennings had been compelled to buy the land at $30 an acre. Margaret Glendenning completed the land funds upon the demise of her husband in 1868.
By 1884, when Robert and Margaret’s kids had come of authorized age, the Glendenning property was divided amongst the household. Margaret Howie lived on the southern half of the property and the northern half was divided amongst the six Glendenning kids: Mary, Margaret C. (Caroline), Ellen (Ella), Joe, Jim, and George. In 1888, roughly 60 acres of the property contained orchards and the remaining portion was utilized for grain and hay manufacturing. Margaret Howie had a home constructed on her property in 1889, the place she lived along with her daughters, Margaret C. Burrell and Ellen Glendenning.
In 1914, Margaret Burrell obtained her mom’s parcel and her daughter and son-in-legislation, Grace and John Leonard, bought the land. Leonard transformed 48 acres of the property from dry-farming (hay and grain manufacturing) to irrigated orchards. It's thought that John Leonard constructed the Glendenning Barn round this time. The Leonards established a dehydrating and packing enterprise on the property.
In 1964, Varian Associates bought the Glendenning property from John Leonard and his son, Burrel. The Glendenning parcel was certainly one of a number of household properties, together with the Lester, Craft, and Orlando households, to be bought by Varian. The Varian lands had been pooled into the VALLCO land company, the title of which was derived from the first names of the principal events concerned in the sale. The Glendenning-Leonard acreages had been the key parcels to be integrated into VALLCO Park and have become the website of the Varian constructing, the first constructed in the park. VALLCO continued minimal farming operations into the 1970s, however a grasp plan and related growth phased out farming.
VALLCO bought 46 acres to Hewlett-Packard in 1968, adopted by one other 50 acres in 1971. Aerial pictures from the 1980s present the barn, pump home, and windmill tower, however the Glendenning home constructed for Margaret Howie Glendenning, Margaret Burrell, and Ellen Glendenning was demolished in the early 1970s. The Hewlett-Packard and Ridgeview campuses had been constructed in phases from the mid-1960s to late 1980s. Hewlett-Packard bought the 98-acre workplace park in November 2010 to Apple as a part of its plan to consolidate workers at its Palo Alto campus. The property is simply north of a 50-acre website Apple purchased in 2006 and east of the principal Apple campus. The properties bought by Apple in 2006 and 2010 are a part of the venture website.